Monday, May 28, 2007

Jumping on the blogwagon

So I've been writing my blog for a few months now, not religiously, just whenever something interesting happens. Recently I've been wondering to myself - who I am writing for? I think that some of my friends (both here and Aus) check in every now and then, but I've no doubt (my Blog Stat Counter can support me here) that I am my blog's most regular visitor (well me and Bangkok Ali). Is that ok? Am I happy enough with that? I thought that I was, I thought that this was a like a not so personal journal that I am keeping for myself as a record of my wonderful memories living abroad. But then as I chat with mates who are also getting on the blogwagon I wonder if I actually I really want more from this? Not fame and fortune (let's be honest, there aren't that many people who give two hoots about a little Aussie chick doing the expat thing in Bangkok) but perhaps it would be nice if every now and then someone I don't know pops in and says something nice.... so the questions now arise - how do I get my blog out there? Do I just send out emails to everyone I know to tell them to check it out? How regularly should I do this? Do I randomly search for other blogs - perhaps in the same 'expats' genre - and leave comments hoping that they will follow comments back to my site? Do I post link to other blogs as a way to suck up to more popular sites? What's the ettiquite? When is it ok to link to another site? If someone links to you do you have to link back?
I rarely post entries like this, mostly I am just giving a wrap up of an exciting weekend or short trip away - but what is more interesting? Random thoughts like this post or holiday summaries and tales of adventure? I guess for someone who knows me they might like to read about how I watched devout Catholics flagellate themselves or how I've recently spent evenings being all hoity toity at Bangkok art galleries but for random strangers - what brings them here in the first place?

6 comments:

Christina | AmiExpat.com said...

Hi there - saw you joined my blog's community over on MyBlogLog and thought I'd pop in for a look. As you can see, I've found that MyBlogLog helps get readers. Also, finding at least a couple of blogs that you like and becoming a regular reader and commenter helps. If you like a blog, link to it (some people ask first, but I only do that if it seems the person does not want publicity). I usually read for a while before I link to make sure it's something I want advertised on my blog. Taking down a link once you've put it up there is kind of a big deal to some people. And usually if you link to someone, they will feel pressured to link to you, so try to write interesting stuff so they will be glad to do it ;-)

You write well, I think you'll get plenty of readers in time. Good luck and you've got one new reader in me.

Anonymous said...

Well, I'll swap links with you if you fancy it. http://whatismatt.com/

Don't blog for anyone at first, just write whatever the hell you want.

Molange said...

Hi guys,
thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Christina - I am hesitant about putting up links to other people's blogs for that very reason, a lot of pressure to keep my posts interesting for a wider audience! But I will keep blogging along and see who hangs around with me!

Lost Boy - I've read your blog many times (through Bangkok Ali) and I would be more than happy to swap links with you...

Anonymous said...

Dear Andrea Melony

First time blogger, long time reader here.

There are very few people who can stage the successful comeback and retain their original audience, or indeed a new audience more ample than their original.

I was a long time committed visitor to Daimo.com/Ange as I searched for distractions from the daily grind to kill but a few minutes. Until, that is, your entries became more infrequent than your visits home. Sigh.

My daily checking went into the months after your last entry. I was like Russell Crowe in A Beautiful Mind (i.e both genius and obsessive). On that basis, it may again take some time for this to become part of the everday.

I wish you the best with your blogging and may it draw the crowds that you always sought.

Hurry home.

Molange said...

Hi there Anonymous - are you my Dad?

Ange said...

hey ange, i came across your site via lillian's and then ali's and thought i'd send you a quick message. strangely enough i am also an ange (and an aussie) living in thailand. i'll definitely add your link to my blog although i have to say i'm like you in that i'm not actually sure who reads my blog! of course it doesn't help that i am a little lazy about keeping it updated! either way, i'll definitely be checking yours out regularly... and i agree with matt, write whatever you like. it's much more interesting that way!