Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Everything you can do, I can do better

"I went to this remote village on the back of a camel, we had to scale walls and then hoist ourselves up over a series of small children and dogs and then we were at the most amazing beach you have ever seen. I was definately the only western person who had EVER been there. It was amazing!" IF I HEAR ONE MORE DICKHEAD BACKPACKER MAKE A CLAIM LIKE THIS I THINK I WILL SCREAM!!!!!

Seriously. Why is it that just doing what is in the Lonely Planet, or Rough Guide or advertised on the walls of the hostel is never enough for some people that they have to make up bullshit stories about being the only westerner that has ever been seen at a particular beach, mountain, restaurant, noodle shop etc. BUDDY, IF YOU MADE IT THERE, SOMEONE ELSE WOULD HAVE BEFORE YOU!! GET OVER YOURSELF!

I love to hear stories from other backpackers, they are your best resource when you are on the road - but please spare me the crap. (Yes I want to know that a hard bed sleeper isn't that bad and it will save you a few dollars, but I don't believe you when you tell me that you were in fact the first white person that the 5 other locals in your room had EVER seen!) I cringe at that loud mouthed tourist (very often a fellow Aussie - double cringe) who always has to out do everyone elses travel stories. "oh you only trekked to the first village? That's cool, but I went to the second village, I met an awesome and interesting tribe of people who actually believe that eating the eyeballs of chickens brings health and fertility. I sat there and ate with them - I am sure that I was the ONLY WHITE PERSON THEY HAD EVER SEEN!"

BULLSHIT!!!

2 comments:

La NiƱa said...

Didn't know that some people regard travel as a competition with fellow travellers.

Maybe they're the first ones to DOCUMENT the trip but not necessarily the first ones there. Heh :)

Anonymous said...

Enough already - did you get a dress?